All rights reserved. My brother Jordi is about to launch Casa Cacao by the end of this summer in Girona. Spanish Chef Joan Roca at El Celler de Can Roca makes a dish. Joan Roca is a calm, collected, culinary genius but what truly makes him stand out as a first-class hospitality professional is his love for what he does. In 1986, when Joan was 22 and Josep was 20, the two decided to open their own restaurant right next door to Can Roca, aptly named El Celler de Can Roca. It has been received warmly by critics, and holds three Michelin stars. He says that the best part of his job is simply “when a customer returns because they’re happy with your work.” We’re going to look into Roca’s life, the incredible success of his restaurant, and select three pieces of his best culinary advice for you to follow. Chef Joan Roca of the three-Michelin-starred of El Celler de Can Roca traces his culinary inspiration to his mother's cooking. • 2000. Cook of the year by the Spanish Academy of Gastronomy. )I love to wake up early in the morning and bike to the old side of Girona where I indulge in a good Iberian ham sub at Porcus. In spring, I love to prepare them with the wild green asparagus we forage. Joan Roca i Fontané | 3-Michelin Star Chef. Recipes for all tastes. It's my favorite place to grab an excellent cup of black coffee to go before biking back to work in the morning.Where do you go when you travel to your favorite city?There's a place in a little village in Costa Brava next to the sea called Toc al Mar. Joan could barely turn around in the kitchen, and the décor was modest and simple. Perhaps it’s this reluctance to acknowledge their own notoriety that has allowed the culinary masterminds to stay true to the flavors of their childhood. Maybe it is not the most healthy option before going to sleep, but I usually eat artisan bread, olive oil, and cheese. Continue Reading. [1] La cocina es de 210 m² y la cava de 250 m², con más de 40.000 botellas de unas 1.600 referencias. What was the last thing you ate?I just ate an oxtail stew at mother's restaurant, Can Roca, that was exquisite. If it is winter, the seasonal sea urchins are my favorite. Marisel Salazar is a New York City-based food and travel writer. Chef Joan Roca of the three-Michelin-starred of El Celler de Can Roca traces his culinary inspiration to his mother's cooking. What is the "laziest" meal you put together for yourself this past week?Scrambled eggs—I love them. Watch this interview with Michel Rochat, CEO of EHL, the world’s top hospitality school. Over the years, the restaurant became a household name and with this came plans to expand so in 2007 the restaurant moved to its current location. (Outside of your own restaurants. [They were]… invaluable experiences.”. But that hasn’t been the case for the 3-Michelin star chef at El Celler de Can Roca restaurant in Girona, Spain. It is a comfortable, traditional, home-style restaurant and also the place where me and my brothers grew up among the scents of her cuisine and my parents' daily customers.The meat has a great tenderness and there's a richness to the sauce. Video Rating: 4 / 5. Hear from Alain Ducasse, Clare Smyth, Joan Roca, and more! Copyright © 2020 MICHELIN Guide. Joan Roca, and his brothers Josep and Jordi, all grew up in and around their parents’ restaurant, Can Roca. yoast_breadcrumb( ' Joan Roca makes one of his dishes. by Peter Tunney | Oct 30, 2019 | INTERVIEWS | 0 comments. Last week I cooked them with fresh black truffle. This is due to a patient and slow cooking process—also to the fact that my mother always cooks it the previous day and lets it stand before serving it the following day, which concentrates the flavors. It’s so genuine and authentic, he speaks as if every day in work is one to be savored and that’s something we admire: “Hospitality is a wonderful world, where you can be happy by making others happy. When asked what was his most valuable experience as a young chef, he said: “The experiences I gained from the different places where I did my internships. Photos courtesy of El Celler de Can Roca. Joan recalls his first interaction with the culinary world as being: “My mother made me sew a kitchen jacket when I was ten years old, and it was at that time that I entered this world.”. Passion is obviously as essential to the El Celler de Can Roca philosophy as anything. Feeling the February blues? Joan’s philosophy really emphasizes the importance of authenticity, tradition, and modesty as a part of his secret recipe for success. His care for the ingredients he uses coupled with his creative imagination produces sublime dishes. Receive the latest MICHELIN Guide stories, most exclusive restaurant offers and events from your city and beyond. What do you order for breakfast and where? Another pearl of wisdom that Roca can share with those aspiring to make it in the hospitality industry is to discover your profession through internships. Joan Roca es un cocinero español con 3 estrellas Michelin y considerado como uno de los mejores chef del mundo. Joan Roca i Fontané (Gerona, 11 de febrero de 1964) es un cocinero y chef español del restaurante El Celler de Can Roca.Roca es considerado uno de los mejores chefs del mundo. Vila Podvin : A MICHELIN Star in the Alpine Slovenian town of Radovljica, Where To Comfort Yourself With Pasta in New York City, Eating Off Duty with Natalie Saben of Pacific Standard Time. Stay on the top of the best restaurants, offers, lifestyle, and events recommended in our guide cities. . Want to watch interviews with hospitality’s biggest names? She also produces culinary events and neighborhood dining guides with chefs across the U.S., and consults for a variety of brands on trends and social media. if ( function_exists('yoast_breadcrumb') ) { El Celler de Can Roca also leads a botanical research team called Terra Animada, cataloguing more than 3,000 wild species for its recovery and reintroduction in gastronomy. His two brothers also a huge part of the restaurant’s success and are award-winners in their own fields, Josep as the sommelier, and Jordi as the pastry chef. They can either settle matters here or with the restaurant’s in-house psychologist. What is your favorite snack food?Anchovy-filled green olives. Roca is not only a great master of “perfumed gastronomy” (a technique pioneered by the Roca brothers), he’s also an advocate for his local community of producers. What is your local coffee shop and what do you order?Espresso Mafia in the old side of Girona. He appreciates every award that he has received but when the three brothers were recognized as number one, he realized that the impact had stretched beyond the walls of the restaurant, saying that “…it’s a success that becomes part of the city, the region, the country.”. They served hake with rosemary and garlic vinaigrette as their first-ever dish, but the restaurant quickly became known for combining cutting edge techniques like perfume-based dishes inspired by Bulgari and Lancôme, molecular gastronomy, unique presentations (such as caramelized olives served on a bonsai tree) and cooking rooted in Spanish and Catalan traditions. In the beginning the restaurant was housed in a tight, ill-suited space. The sandwich is just bread with a good ripe tomato rubbed on it, extra-virgin olive oil, and, of course, one of the finest products of our region, the Iberian ham—a delicious gastronomic jewel that is thinly sliced and much loved.